Microsoft released a flurry of Halo 4 information today. The 343 Industries-developed entry will launch on November 6 in a standard edition as well as a Limited Edition. The decked-out premium version, detailed below, was announced alongside details about the expanded multiplayer component, now known as Halo Infinity Multiplayer.
Halo 4’s multiplayer will feature a hub system, with players venturing out into the online world from the UNSC Infinity. The starship will be the nerve center for multiplayer, providing a station where players can customize their own Spartan-IV. The Infinity is more than just a command center, though, and will serve a role in the storyline. Following the events in Halo 4, the Infinity will star in a “story-driven experience” dubbed Spartan Ops, “an episodic adventure that blends immersive storytelling, high-quality cinematics, and action-packed gameplay to deliver an unprecedented serialized experience.” Weekly episodes will follow the crew of the ship, as well as a new team of Spartans, Majestic Squad. These episodes will serve as preludes for playable missions that will comprise a second campaign. The Spartan Ops missions, as with the regular campaign, will be playable solo or with up to three friends cooperatively.
The other half of multiplayer are the versus modes, now known as War Games. These take place on the combat deck of the Infinity, though the new modes referenced weren’t detailed. Finally, both Spartan Ops and War Games will share a progression system where players can kit out their Spartan with weapons, armor abilities, and combat-augmenting enhancements called Specializations.
“Halo 4” Limited Edition
Available for preorder today, the “Halo 4” Limited Edition maximizes your multiplayer experience and puts you in the boots of a Spartan-IV aboard the UNSC Infinity – the hub of your “Halo” multiplayer career.
The “Halo 4” Limited Edition (MSRP $99.99) includes:
– War Games Map Pack Access: The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps – three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox Live. (A detailed release schedule for the map packs will be announced at a later time)
– Specializations: Receive early access to six Specializations, available at launch on Xbox Live, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options. Purchasers of the “Halo 4” Limited Edition will get access on launch day, while others will have to wait as Specializations are released over time.
– The Limited Edition also contains the UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet, which includes an armor customization schematic, a blueprint of the massive ship itself, and insight into what it means to be one of humanity’s finest warriors: the Spartan-IVs.
– Bonus digital content through Xbox LIVE: Unique in-game Spartan-IV armor skin, unique in-game weapon skin for the Assault Rifle, an exclusive in-game emblem, Xbox Live Avatar prop, Xbox Live Avatar Spartan-IV armor set
– “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” Special Edition – An extended 90-minute version of the live-action digital series that will bring the “Halo” universe to life as you’ve never seen it, and provide an enthralling backstory leading up to the events of “Halo 4.”
– “Halo 4” Limited Edition also includes the following exclusive videos: Bonus in-fiction content expanding the characters and stories of “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn,” special featurette Bringing Gaming into Reality, and making of “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn.”
Official Site: Xbox.com – Halo 4